This week, Calldoradians were greeted with a warm, but not too close (physically anyway) welcome from our HR and Operations team who had decorated our offices ready for our phased return.
Denmark was one of the first countries to shut down, and Calldorado was already ahead of the curb, closing the office two days prior to the country’s national guidelines. After not seeing our colleagues for what feels like an eternity (although we can argue to be very lucky it’s only been two months), we were glad to return to the office this week and see our colleagues and friends in person, even if it’s at a distance.
Working from home: how it has been
Having experience in working from home is all well and good, but it can still be very challenging if you don’t have the right equipment. Thankfully our HR & Operations team spent a lot of time delivering supplies to people’s houses: screens, keyboards, chairs – you name it.
It’s not always easy to filter out the important and relevant information when listening to government updates about the Corona-virus. For some, it can be overwhelming to read the news, for others they simply struggle to understand the Danish language – we are after all a multinational team from 25 different countries. These are among the reasons why there has been a minimum of twice-weekly Zoom-meetings about Covid-19 throughout the lockdown.
During these meetings, management has given updates on what is relevant for Calldoradians as both employees and more generally as inhabitants of Denmark. People of different nationalities within the company have naturally had different reactions to the situation based on what they are seeing happening in their home countries and Calldorado management have listened to all concerns and acted on them. This led to the decision to delay our return to the office, which initially was planned for 20th April.
The new normal (for now)
Rules and regulations are constantly updated to ensure we are following the suggestions from Sundhedsstyrelsen (in Danish), the Danish health authority. Although we are very excited to be back in the office, we will not yet be working there every day. To ensure we are able to maintain a safe distance from colleagues, it has been decided to split the company into 2 teams.
- Color codes have been assigned to our agile teams, deciding what days you work from where. The blue team will work in the office every Monday and Wednesday. The green team every Tuesday and Thursday. The remaining days of the week are spent working from home
- To ensure health and safety, with plenty of space in the office, seating has been rearranged for everyone during this period.
- Tables have been marked with name and color, and wall dividers are set up to ensure additional distance and barriers.
- Teams even have their own designated bathrooms and cleaning of all facilities is done daily.
Even though we can finally meet face-to-face again, we are still very much restricting the number of people allowed in meetings. Numbers attending meetings are now restricted to less than half the usual capacity of each meeting room.
If employees are in any way feeling unwell, they’ve been asked to stay home. This includes any sickness in their household, such as their spouse or children.
Calldoradians are sociable people and love to gather in the kitchen for breakfast, snacks, cake, and coffee breaks. Unfortunately, with Covid-19, new regulations have been set in place.
- Breakfast has been suspended for the time being, and there are regulations to limit the amount of time and people (1) in the kitchen at all times.
- Sanitary wipes are readily available near every surface you are likely to touch, such as opening cabinets, operating the coffee machine, and so on.
- The usual snacks, such as dried fruits and nuts, have been removed for the period, while coffee, tea, soda, and juice is still provided.
- The company lunch plan has also been modified from a family-style buffet to individually packed lunches such as salads, bagels, burgers, and of course the classic Danish smørrebrød.
Another Calldorado favorite, table football, has been discontinued until further notice.
New faces in Calldorado
Despite the many restrictions in place, Calldorado successfully hired two new employees! Kateryna (QA) and Charles (Sales) were both onboarded during the lockdown. Before starting Charles’ training, Sippora, our publisher relations manager, asked herself “How can I give my new colleague a warm welcome and effective training while we’re social distancing and communicating online?“
Since he started, Charles has been introduced to one of our top-performing publishers and is slowly taking ownership of the account in his role as Publisher Relations Manager.
It has been a long few months staying at home, but as summer closes in we are hopeful the situation will continue to move in a positive direction and normalize soon. Until then, we’ll continue to have lots of hygge together, at a safe distance.